*This recipe turned out just like PF Changs at home! Very tasty! I use Grass Fed Flank Steak to make it 100% Gluten Free. For those who are not as sensitive use regular beef. I also skipped the rice since I'm off all grains now....
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
1 Tablespoon Garlic, Chopped
1/2 cup Gluten Free Soy Sauce
1/2 Cup Water
3/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
Vegetable oil, for frying (about 1 cup)
1 Lb Grass Fed Flank Steak
1/4 Cup Cornstarch
2 Large green onions, sliced on the diagonal into one-inch lengths
1. Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp of veg oil in a medium saucepan over med/low heat.
2. Don't get the oil too hot
3. Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches
4. Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, and then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
5. Remove it from the heat
6. Slice the flank stead against the grain into ¼# thick bite-size slices (I had my butcher at Whole Foods slice it thin like PF Changs does) Tilt the blade of your knife at about a forty five degree angle to the top of the steak so that you get wider cuts if you like).
7. Dip the steak pieces in the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef.
8. Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks.
9. As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a wok (you may also use a skillet for this step as long as the beef will be mostly covered with oil.
10. Heat the oil over medium heat until it's nice and hot, but not smoking
11. Add the beef to the oil and sauté for just two minutes or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges.
12. You don't need a thorough cooking here since the beef is going to go back on the heat later.
13. Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly.
14. After a couple minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels, then pour the oil of the wok or skillet.
15. Put the pan back over the heat, dump the meat back into it and simmer for one minute
16. Add the sauce, cook for one minute while stirring, then add all the green onions
17. Cook for one more minute, then remove the beef and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate
18. Leave the excess sauce behind in the pan
Gluten Free Lady