Chicken Lasagnaladas Gluten Free Lady Style
This dish taste just like chicken Enchiladas only with rice pasta! Great for those who may be eliminating Corn from their diet. So good too that I decided to make them for our Life Group pot luck tonight!
1 package (gluten free rice lasagna noodles). I use Jovial Lasagna no boil noodles and I've also used DeBoles Rice Lasagna 8 OZ package. You don't need to pre-boil either!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 roasted bone in chicken breast, shredded
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced or use one 24 oz can organic diced tomatoes drained
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves (I didn’t have cilantro in the our garden this time so used 1 / 4 teaspoon of ground cumin instead). I use cumin in all my Mexican dishes.
1/2 cup sour cream
FOR THE TOMATILLO SAUCE:
- 1 pound tomatillos, quartered (about 5)
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 1 jalapeno, halved (I used another chili pepper from our garden seeded)
- 2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons Gluten Free all purpose flour or use a tablespoon of Arrowroot
- 2 cups heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 cup grated Fontina and 1 cup white cheddar cheese (Fontina is more expensive so I'm using 1 cup Fontina and 1 cup white cheddar for my second batch. You could use all white cheddar for this too to save $$).
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Remove pan from heat and mix in chicken, tomatoes, cilantro and/or cumin and sour cream. Set aside.
- Place tomatillos, onion, pepper and garlic in stone bar pan. Toss with oil and season with salt and pepper Roast until Tomatillos turn golden around the edges and are soft, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and blend ingredients together until smooth. Use a little water or chicken broth to thin sauce, if necessary. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To make the cheese sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour and cook 2 min. Whisk in heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Add cheese and nutmeg and stir until melted. Season sauce with salt, to taste.
- To assemble:
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Add a little cheese on bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish. Layer the UNCOOKED rice lasagna noodles in baking dish and top with some uncooked chicken mixture, then ladle some cheese over the chicken and continue to layer lasagna noodles until you get to the top. Pour rest of the cheese sauce over the top. Bake 30 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Drizzle tomatillo sauce on before serving.
Here's the first batch I made this weekend for our son to take back to college. We snuck a sliver out first to taste! SO YUMMY!!! My husband said they taste just like chicken enchiladas! Great if you're eliminating corn from your diet too! And so much easier than dealing with tortillas! You just layer the uncooked pasta!
Gluten Free Lady
Gluten Free Lady www.glutenfreelady.com